Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Burritos!

Tonight's dinner was burritos.  Well, a mix between burritos and fajitas.  It is essentially a bunch of different things thrown into a wrap.  I used La Tortilla Factory's Smart & Delicious 100 Calorie Tortillas.  It is tough to find low-calorie wraps, so I was excited when I discovered these!

Basic Ingredients:
- tortillas
- 2 peppers
- onion
- rice
- black beans
- additional toppings for your burrito (salsa, cheese, avocado, anything else your taste buds desire!)

First, I heated a pan of water for my boil-in-a-bag rice.  My favorite way to cook rice!  As soon as the water was boiling, I cooked the rice.

While I waited for the water to boil, I sliced up some peppers and started frying them.  I sprayed the pan with a small amount of olive oil (I filled up a travel-sized spray bottle with olive oil - it works well enough).
I used yellow and orange peppers...they needed to be used before they ended up in the compost bin!
 Next, I sliced up an onion and fried it with the peppers.
Yum!
During the frying process, I also sliced and mashed a small avocado.  I love avocado or guacamole on my burritos!  When I don't have an avocado on hand or the avocado just isn't ripe yet, I split a Wholly Guacamole 100 calorie pack between my burrito and Larry's burrito.  We usually have this on hand.

I had some cilantro left over from last night's dinner, so I decided to add it to my rice along with some lime juice.  About a year ago I found a recipe for rice like Chipotle serves.  You can see the recipe here.  Mine is a modified version - just the rice, cilantro, and lime.  It just gives the rice a little flavor. 





Lastly, heat up the black beans!  I forgot to do this until the last minute tonight.  I had half a can of black beans left over from last night's dinner, so I threw the Pyrex dish and the microwave to heat up the beans.  

Time to make the burrito!  We usually start with salsa and then add cheese (vegan for Larry, dairy for me!), rice, veggies, avocado, and beans.
Add your ingredients...
wrap....
and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment