Monday, April 9, 2012

Pizza!

Tonight we had pizza for dinner.  We used to make pizza all the time using the Trader Joe's whole wheat dough.  I'm not sure if we got sick of eating pizza so much (is that even possible!?), if it was just too much work, or if we decided if it had too many calories, but we hadn't made pizza for a while.  Then I discovered you could use Flatout Bread as pizza crust.  There are many different types of Flatouts--original, Italian herb, honey-wheat.  Many of the Flatouts, specifically the "light" varieties, only have 90 calories each.  All you need for the pizza is a package of Flatouts, olive oil, pizza sauce, cheese (vegan or dairy), and whatever toppings you want!  You can make (and eat) a couple of personal pizzas for not a whole lot of calories...as long as you don't use a ton of toppings!

I modified a recipe I found on the Flatout Bread website.  Here's what I did:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Brush the tops of your Flatouts with a small amount of olive oil.
3. Place the Flatouts directly on the grate and cook for 5 minutes.
4. While the Flatouts are cooking, fry up any veggies you want to put on your pizza.  Tonight I used one organic red pepper and one sweet onion.
5. Remove the Flatouts from the oven.  Place on a baking sheet (or 2 depending on how many pizzas you are making) 
6. Top with a small amount of pizza sauce (I like Contadina pizza sauce in a squeeze bottle).
7. Top with a small amount of cheese.  Dairy cheese on my pizzas and vegan cheese on Larry's!
8. Add the veggies (or other toppings...the possibilities are endless!).
9. Place the cookie sheet in the oven for another 5 minutes (or until the cheese is melted).
10. Cut up the pizza and enjoy!
Larry's vegan pizza!

My dairy pizza!





2 comments: