Monday, April 2, 2012

Mango, Avocado, and Black Bean Salad

I am always on the hunt for new recipes that are relatively simple.  I also enjoy recipes that involve avocado and mango.  While on my search, I found this recipe on the Whole Foods website.  It seemed pretty easy, was healthy, and involved some tasty ingredients.  I decided to make it my own and serve it over rice in order to make it a complete meal.  Usually I use the boil in a bag brown rice (for this recipe I used one bag of Success boil in a bag brown rice).

The recipe on the website serves six.  I cut the recipe in half since I was only cooking for 2!  That was easy to do - instead of 2 avocados and 2 mangoes, I used 1 small avocado and 1 mango.  Although there was a lot of pealing and chopping, this recipe was very easy (and delicious!)

I was excited to use my mango slicer!
I got this mango slicer at a Papmered Chef party.  It is actually called a "mango wedger"

The mango "wedger" slices the mango nicely and makes it much easier to remove the skin.

Look at those pretty wedges!
The mango, avocado, and black beam salad tasted pretty yummy on its own.  It would make a great side at a summer bbq - vegans and non vegans would love it!

To make the mango, avocado, and black bean salad into a meal, I put it over rice.  I was a little worried about mixing the hot rice with the cool salad, but it was tasty!
The final product!
We had some organic romaine lettuce left over from dinner on Saturday night, so we also had a side salad with our main course.  A simple way to please vegans and omnivores - different salad dressings!  Larry had a 0 calorie balsamic vinaigrette dressing (which he said was good) and I tried a chunky blue cheese yogurt dressing with only 35 calories.
Salads that make everyone happy.

I was very pleased with the whole dinner and will definitely be making it again.

1 comment:

  1. There was a hot pepper in there or something that added just a tiny bit of spice that made this quite a fun meal to eat!

    ReplyDelete